Thursday, February 20, 2014

Playroom updates

And today I am sharing the opposite wall from the built in sofa nook

We took an old Ikea bookshelf we have had forever... painted it a bright yellow... and then DIY'ed some crates from leftover wood that is currently filling our garage. so much that we can't put our cars in there. anyone want some scrap wood??? takers???

laminate furniture is hard to paint. It is something I still struggle with.
I used oil based primer on this bookshelf and then about 10 coats of yellow.
and I'm still not sure how it is going to hold up.

But we will see.
I might decide to go ahead and poly it and see how that goes.

But for now, it is what it is. It looks good. But I have always had bad luck with painting laminate so I am skeptical.

As said, we built the crates out of scrap wood. They are built out of 1x3s and then we just attached 2x4s, 2x8s, or whatever we had in the garage across the bottom.
They are literally scrap wood crates.
I stained them all with Minwax Dark walnut.
And then added in colorful diagonal stripes in different colors.... and different designs.

I wanted a fun way to bring in a little bit of color. But I didn't want to try and measure and get them exactly the same... so I thought I would just go with making them all different.

I ended up loving how they turned out.
It's always nice when a... here goes nothing decision works out.
Because most of the time it doesn't.
Well at least for me.

This side still has a ways to go.
I plan on adding a gallery wall around this TV stand... and again you can see some patch up marks on the walls that need to get painted this weekend

But here is the new entertainment center as is at the moment.
With scrap wood rainbow crates and all.







As you can see in the photos... lots of touch up paint needed.
And I already have a collection of prints, canvases, and frames to create that gallery wall.
Off to Ikea this weekend to get a few more so that I can finish it off! :)

If you missed it... on Wednesday I shared our closet nook we built in the playroom. You can find that post here

I am hoping to tackle the gallery wall this week, so I can share it with you next week.

A few things left to do in this room

1. TV gallery wall
2. Instagram collage wall next to window.
3. Pillows in the sofa nook
4. floor pillows for under the tent.
5. Touch up the walls!

And that's it. Then this room will be FINISHED!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved