Friday, June 28, 2013

Happy Birthday Sister.

"She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. Some days, she's the reason you wish you were an only child." - Barbara Alpert


The bond between sisters is funny… rather ironic.
And it only makes sense to those of us, who have a sister. Now I did not grow up in a house with brothers… those came along later in life once we were all grown. But growing up, I had my little sister.

We were hit or miss growing up. One day we hated each other and the next day we were best friends. I was older… so I was always telling her what to do… and more likely what not to do. And to be honest, most of the time she listened. Until she became a teenager and then she was on a mission to prove how different we were so she would do the opposite of anything I had said.




My sister and I have the same story, we experienced the same things. She has been there my entire life, everything I went through… we went through together. We handled a lot of it differently and when we talk about memories its funny to me how we even have different memories of the same events. The bond between two sisters is unique. Because even if you are different, you are the same. You understand exactly how they are feeling without them telling you. You can read their facial expressions, body language as if you are watching yourself… your sister is almost like the other half of you. For me, the half that I wish I could be more like on some days. My sister is outgoing, and not afraid of anything. She speaks her mind. She jumps at the moment someone needs her help. She truly inspires me. I am often timid and shy, and I have always admired her boldness. We have a shared past, and those experiences molded our personalities. We have witnessed each other at our worst.. .and our best. We learned to accept our differences and appreciate each other for who we are along the way

Looking at your sister is like looking in the mirror. You cant hide. She knows you. You know her. It’s a bond that only sisters come to understand.

Its funny, growing up my mom would always say to us… will you just be nice to your sister? She is the only one you have and you will appreciate her someday. I hated when she said that… because 1. She only said it when we were fighting. And 2. At that moment, no part of me was appreciating her so it annoyed me more.

There are still days now after being grown that my sister can annoy me more than anyone. It’s a talent. She can get under my skin worst than anyone. And its because she is my sister, and she knows me better than anyone. We can push each others buttons in a heartbeat and when we are mad… we use that. Now that’s nice… but that’s what sisters do.




I will never forget the time that I was utterly pissed off at my sister. I mean something happened and I was MAD. So I came home and told Jerry all about it. I went on and on about how she was horrible for this reason or that reason (I honestly haven’t a clue what I was upset about) and he sat there and listened… and then he did something terrible. He agreed with me… and instantly my anger switched to him. How dare he insult my sister. The poor guy was so confused…. Once he realized my anger switched completely from her to him. And he immediately apologized, I mean… he had nothing to apologize for. He was doing what he should do… he was backing me. Me and him are suppose to be on the same team and he was doing exactly what he thought he should. I can tell you… he could have cared less about what was going on between me and my sister, but he agreed to be a good husband. And he learned quickly… on my sister he should just listen. Not agree. Not disagree. Just let me work it out. Its funny though. I can absolutely hate my sister… but the minute someone else has anything ill to say about her… my feelings switch and I can do a 180 and I am in her corner. I am the only one that is allowed to be mad at my sister, I could be absolutely enraged with her. But the second someone else says they are mad at her… I am instinctively defensive.

Sisters have the ability to hate each other and love each other at the same exact time. We are in each others corners no matter what … when it comes down to it… we are there. Always.

My sister holds my past, my present, and my future. She has been there my entire life and will continue to be part of my life until I am gone. She is someone I know I can count on when I need her no matter what is going on in her life. My life honestly does not make sense without her. She is my truth.

When you get older you realize how much you need your sister. You need her in the good times and more importantly in the bad. When I was pregnant with Maddux, we thought we were miscarrying in the beginning and had to go into the hospital and I wanted my sister there. Having her and my mom there helped calm me down. Those two are my emotional anchors. Thankfully we had a happy ending to that night and everything turned out fine. That night was one of the scariest moments of my life. And I needed my husband, my mom, and my sister

There is nothing I wouldn’t do for my sister. And no matter what is going on… I will support her.

Not a single person has made me laugh as much as my sister. She is outgoing and hilarious and all things I wish I could be. She is kind, good hearted, forgiving, fearless, and honest. She is beautiful… so incredibly beautiful.

Being a big sister… you almost get a motherly instinct (which has always annoyed her) but growing up your mom always says… take care of your baby sister. And that sticks with you. I always want to protect her… and she always wants to prove she can do it on her own. But at the end of the day… we need each other. She just doesn’t always need me bossing her around, as much as she needs me as a silent support system which.. I have learned more and more through the years. (still working on getting better at that though) But you are taught to protect her at a young age.. and that carries with you your entire life



Holly, Happy Birthday. I am so proud to call you my sister. I am proud of the mother you are and it brings me so much happiness to see the similarities in how you are raising your girls and how we were raised. Thank you for always being a shoulder to lean on. You have been there for me every time I have needed you. Thank you for the memories or rich girl/poor girl, pizza hut pizza, and dressing crazy for the pizza delivery men.

One of my favorite traditions with my sister was.. we had to sleep in the same bed on Christmas eve.We started this as kids... to try and keep each other up so we could catch Santa. We never made it. we always passed out.... we would stay up giggling and talking... until we just fell asleep from exhaustion. This tradition continued... throughout college. it just became our tradition. It is a memory that crosses my mind every single christmas eve...  I miss it.
Thank you for being my sister, Without you my life would not make sense.

I love you Holler.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved