Sunday, February 13, 2011

Gallery Shelves

So I will start this out and tell you that I am not skilled when it comes to what I call "boy work" anything that involves tools. wood, patience, planning, measuring... none of these things.

But I have developed an obsession with Ana Whites blog. If you don't know who I am talking about feel free to check her out HERE. This Girl will make you want to build. So I decided I would start out with a simple project... Something very beginner... but something that I loved.

Then I found the plans for the gallery shelving... and thought PERFECT!!!!
Anyone that knows me knows I am obsessed with photos...  so I have plenty to show off. And these would do just the trick. So I went to Lowe's asked one of their helpful people in the wood area.... I am pretty sure he was afraid I was going to kill myself... he was pretty reluctant to sell me the drill/saw combo I told him I wanted. This was right after he I didn't know what kind of wood I wanted.... the screw length I needed.... All i wrote down was the measurements of the board... screws, nails, tools.  I should mention the entire time Lauren is with me. She likes to pretend she knows what she is doing. I prefer to take the I have no clue... please help me route... which comes to find out... embarrasses her. Grow Up Lauren. Jeez. :)
But I really think in Lowe's the more clueless I am ... more willing they are to help me and actually explain it to me. Which I need. So I bought my wood, had them cut it for me, some wood glue, nails, screws, and this amazing drill/saw combo they had there. I am really stocking up on my man tools.... without the hubby. It would be nice if he would try to learn something...  someday... maybe. But hes more accident prone then me. so really maybe we are better off with me having the tool belt :)
So I we Lauren and I come back with our supplies... and we glue the boards together. Well the bracket we bought isn't big enough so we have to sit there and push the boards together for a while to have the glue set. Which really made the experience a little better. Now I am going into detail... not to just embarrass myself But instead to prove if you wanted to start out with one of those starter projects... if I survived it. So can you.
So we tried to originally just screw the shelves in. apparently that's what the guy made me buy those so called drill bits for. So after Lauren I figured it out. Googled what size drill bit we should use compared to the screw... we drilled in the shelves. Then came the hard part nailing on the front of the shelf.... Speaking of which... I now need a nail gun.
So nailing on the board. Hard... Very hard. we broke several nails... almost took off a few fingers... then Lauren had a stroke of genius and suggested we use the drill bit for this also. Amazing Idea! Wow did that make it easy. so we got them all nailed together. I sanded down the ends and that was that.

I build two more... by myself. painted them white.
and Voila.

Here we are.... Now I dont have them set up completely... I need more frames.. and need to reorganize my photos... but I figured I have waited forever so I might as well get this post up. Maybe if I remember Ill get up a final after shot once I have the photos finalized and all :)

PS. I do realize I have one photo up there twice... now you will be looking for it ;)









Well what do you think?

Next on the list.... Bench. For Maddy's playroom.





Also linking up to Tatertots and Jello here
 
UndertheTableandDreaming


1000 Gifts
24. The smell of laundry running
 25. seeing all of my nieces in one day
26. peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
27. Maddux's dance moves with the hot dog dance song comes on
28. Hearing Maddux call Nala as soon as he's up in the morning

18 comments:

  1. Love them!! Can i pay you to make some for me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great idea! It looks really nice! I wouldnt mind doing something like this. My husband makes fun of me for all the pictures I have up of the kiddos- he calls it my shrine. I just cant bear to part with some of them :D You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, those are pretty. I'm a sucker for shelves.

    I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these!! A few are going up in our living room soooon! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are super woman with a tool belt AND the snazzy gold bracelets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful! What more can be said. Thanks for sharing. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! You're inspiring me to get more photos up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi-
    Love your unique style and I've awarded you with the Stylish Blogger Award ~ take a look: http://tinyurl.com/6chr84e
    I'm also your newest follower. Have a great weekend!!

    ~Jenna, SAS Interiors
    www.sasinteriors.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks great! definitely need to try something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh! I want to try to make some too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome, especially for being your first handyman project! lol! Kuncle bump!!
    I want to try some myself now too! I am excited to see your bench you build! I am your newest follower! Have a great weekend!
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did such a fabulous job! You were right I was looking for the duplicate photo. I'm not sure I would have even noticed if you hadn't pointed it out :)

    Saw your link at Under the Table.

    I'm a new follower.

    elephantstrunk42.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your shelves turned out wonderful! I also love Ana White's stuff. I am waiting to make one of the bed's for my daughter...need help getting the lumber home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny! I saw your post on UTTAD... I too am obsessed with Ana's site and made the gallery wall shelves about a month ago. I also made her C table and laundry basket dresser but I'm working my way up to bigger projects:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've put together a round up of cool photo displays on Craft Gossip today and included your project. :) You can see it here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-cool-photo-display-ideas/

    If you would like to share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you've been featured, you can grab a button here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved