Monday, January 31, 2011

Grateful for everyday "gifts"

So I came across this blog... a holy experience and I like an idea it has.

Religion is a tough topic with people. So here's where I stand.
I was taught that I did not need to go to church to pray. That a personal relationship with Jesus will make you a better person. And we are here to help people for him. I was taught that if I talk to Jesus, Thank God for all my blessings, and help people whenever I can... how I can... well that's what is asked of us. Now that was just kind of the way my brought us up. She taught us heaven was whatever I wanted it to be. Anything I dreamed of.... which usually was a world made of marshmallows, instead of traveling by car... you traveled via carousel.... and you could have as many lollipops as you wanted...

But anyways. My whole point is.... as an adult.... I still have those views. When my husband wanted to find a church to attend and to have our son baptized at. One of my rules were it had to do a lot of work int he community. And I love our church for that reason. They are constantly helping out the community. And that is very important to me.

Now I don't have a real opinion that one religion has it all figured out. I don't know what the right answer is. The church we attend feels right in my heart and that's what is important.

I don't believe in preaching to other people. In fact its really something I cant handle when people do. I think its important to find what makes us happy. I shared the link above... because of one reason.
I like the idea of counting out what we are thankful for. Taking time to stop and enjoy the small moments.
I have not read this book.... I haven't really read the blog other than the whole thought behind the 1000 gifts finding "gifts" in our everyday life.

Now I am going to start adding this to my blog... So in case you see me counting out a few things in the bottom. I just wanted to let anyone who is reading what I am doing. 
So theres my story. I love this idea because ... to me this is looking back at my day... good or bad and finding all the things that make me smile.

For me.... all of this is sort of my moral compass. taking the time at the end of the day... reflecting on my day... who I am. And really becoming the person I want to be. I don't worry so much about how others view me... but I do worry about how I see myself. And that is what I use my relationship with him for. Praying is kind of my self check... am I doing things that make myself proud, could I handle situations better, do I need to prioritize, am I rushing thru these days missing what is really important... etc.

I am breaking the rules.. I will not be linking up. But I have this thing... that I don't like to push beliefs.. and that would be cutting it too close for me.
I just wanted to let you know what my numbers are going to be for.
They wont be in depth meaningful things... I mean lets get real... if you know me... you know I thank McDonalds daily for their fountain soda. Mcdonalds coke and Starbucks coffee will be repeated... but they deserve it :)
Thanks for reading.


1. warm baked chocolate chip cookies
2. My husband getting home first and having dinner ready when I walk in the door
3. Big smiles from Maddux when I get home from work
4. Nala always being excited to see me.
5.Cherry Coke
6. Cuddling with Maddux on the couch before bedtime
7. Snowstorms

3 comments:

  1. My dream of an ideal religion is pure community service. Instead of going to church...you go to a soup kitchen, or a school to volunteer.

    God is love, right?

    My mom always said church is everywhere...

    p.s. love your #7. we are expecting two feet here in chicago!

    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I've been doing this too. Reading the book is on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- I just found your blog and I have enjoyed reading it so much! I have also begun a list of 1000 gifts and am reading that book.
    I do have to comment about religion, however. There are many, many religions in the world. But none of them will get you to heaven - and heaven is a very real place. There is only one true God, the Creator of heaven and earth. He revelaed Himself through the Bible, He sent His Son to die for your sins and mine, and His Son Jesus went to heaven to prepare a place for you. Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the life." And if you don't tell others, how will they know? So hang on to your relationship with Him. It's all about the relationship, not a religion.
    Thank you for your thoughts in your blog- may He richly bless you as you name your 1000 gifts and as you learn who He is and how you can glorify Him.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved