Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Yep. Another Gallery Wall

 I might have a problem.

 I love photos. I love capturing moments that make me smile.
And I love filling my walls with my favorite memories.

Don't worry, we are finishing the basement now... I am pretty sure there will be another gallery wall or two in the future also.

So, this all started with the pink wood truck I picked up from Urban Farmgirl a few months back. And then I just started collecting random things from there.
This week I stopped by Michaels and they had these wood and metal frames marked down on Clearance... it was meant to be. So I grabbed as many as I thought I would need... and came home and got to work.

Gallery walls take no rhyme or reason.
I think the trick is... BIG frames.
Gallery walls look better with larger photos. If you don't believe me take a look on Pinterest and the ones that you like and try to figure out what you like about them. For me... its the larger frames mixed in.
So that is my one tip.

So I started by laying out a few designs on the floor.
and once I was happy with how it was shaping up. I moved to the wall. I usually work my way from the center out. But you can work away however makes sense for you.
The trick is spacing. try and keep the spacing similar between all pieces on your wall. Put things up as if you are working on a grid and try to keep everything in line on some level.

So after about an hour and a half of putting this all together I ended here.












Oh and another thing. I always work with empty frames, so that I am able to move the frames around and flip them without worrying about the photos inside. So now, the next step will be to fill these frames with some of my favorite moments. Then add some velcro to get a few of those crooked ones all straightened out. I am on the lookout for a few more pieces and/or frames to extend it to the left wall and maybe ceiling to floor. depending on what I find.

I just ordered a wood print on Groupon... so the sideways family photo is just a spot holder waiting on that to arrive in the mail.

Can't wait to share with you the finished project! But for now, it's off to a start.

Do you love gallery walls? Are they easier when you plan them all out? or do you just grab a hammer and nails and go about it?





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved